Are termite infestations common in South Carolina?
South Carolina is one of the most active areas for termites in the US. The climate of the southeast United States contributes to active termite swarms throughout the year, particularly in the spring and summer.
Is my home infested with termites?
Termite infestations can sometimes progress for years without obvious signs, which is why it’s important to take preventative measures, especially in a termite hotbed like South Carolina. Watch for the signs listed below and be sure to contact a professional pest control provider for an inspection if you think your home is infested.
Signs of a Termite Infestation
- The presence of winged termite swarms
- Piles of shed wings on windowsills or the ground
- Small hexagonal fecal pellets called “frass”
- Mud tubes on exterior walls
- Small tunnels in wood
- Damaged wood, especially in a honeycomb pattern
- Sagging floors, warped window/door frames, and doors that stick in their frame
- A hollow sound when you knock on wood
Types of Termites in South Carolina
The thousands of termite species can be grouped into three main categories: subterranean, drywood, and dampwood.
In South Carolina, there are two types of termites that are common offenders:
- Subterranean Termites
- Drywood Termites
- The nation’s most common type of termite
- Prefer soft and rotting wood
- Require moisture to survive, so they build colonies in moist soil near wooden structures
- Enter homes through mud tubes and openings in the foundation
- Prefer hardwood structures and furniture
- Do not require the same level of moisture as subterranean termites
- May enter homes through accessible outdoor wood or may be brought in with infested furniture
- An invasive species of subterranean termite that are highly destructive due to their large colony size
- Less common in South Carolina, but have been sighted in the state
- Enter homes through mud tubes and cracks in the foundation
How to Get Rid of Termites
If you think you have a termite problem, you should start by confirming if there is an infestation and how severe it is. Compass Pest Management is an award-winning, family-owned termite control company based in South Carolina. Our team of certified technicians delivers fast, effective, and friendly service, eliminating termites and giving you peace of mind.
About Compass Pest Management
Compass Pest Management is a full-service pest control company serving north Georgia and Upstate South Carolina. We offer residential and commercial pest control services for termites, ants, cockroaches, mosquitoes, bed bugs, and more. We also offer wildlife removal services and TAP insulation, an insulation product that doubles as built-in pest control. We’re committed to using the safest, EPA-approved products to keep you and your family safe, healthy, and comfortable. Contact us for effective, local pest control services you can trust.